Latest Posts

Try A Little Confidence!

By 22:58 , , , , , , , , , ,


"Oh she may be weary...them young girls they do get weary!..." ( from 'Try a Little Tenderness' by Otis Redding if you didn't recognise the lyrics). Happy Sunday people, hope you've been having a
great weekend. I wanted to share something a little different today, something that has become a recurring message for me in the past few weeks, and something that I think a lot of people can relate to.

I don't know how your year has been going but 2014 has been pretty eventful for me already. Talking to friends and family about it, I've realised how true it is that some people really do know you better than you know yourself. Thank God for those people! It turns out that they could see something in me that I've never been able to: a big lack of confidence.

When I heard this it kind of hit me like a bag of bricks! Confidence is not something that I thought I had a problem with, after all I've given presentations in school, talked to complete strangers, started a blog..... However the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me, I was just there like 'wow...that explains a lot'. I actually disliked presentations because I hated the sound of my voice and worried about getting tongue-tied. Whenever I've talked to strangers without being paid to do so, they most probably talked to me first, or I was simply trying to make an already awkward situation slightly less awkward. And of course I've started this blog but it still took quite a few posts before I had any courage to tell anyone about it!

These things might not seem so serious or uncommon but these just a few examples of little things that I often worry about and there comes a point when you have to acknowledge the little things that stop you from moving forward in life. I've realised that for me, being shy, taking a backseat, saying 'yes' when I mean 'no' or 'I don't mind' when I do to always please others, is not just part of my 'humble' personality it's the result of an inner lack of confidence and a bigger fear of failure. I hope I'm making sense to somebody out there!

To paraphrase P!nk (I'm all about the music lyrics today), sometimes we are a hazard to ourselves and our own worst enemy when we run ourselves down all the time, convinced that we can't instead of believing that we can. That is essentially what they call low self-esteem, and not only does it feels crap but it starts affecting your personal life, social life and even your work life. It's a much better feeling to live a more confident and less fearful life, a life where you don't lose hope and you actually believe that you can achieve- CAN I GET AN AMEN?!! LOL seriously though, I have decided that this has got be a turning point. I am pretty much amazing and I need to start remembering that!

This year may not have started off well but it can end well, and all because I'm gonna try a little confidence. I don't know who else this topic will relate to but I hope it has encouraged somebody reading. Look out for posts all throughout this year on different ways to gain confidence. By the end of the year I'll be vlogging live interviews of me talking to random strangers, watch this space! :P

As always thank you for reading. I wish you a very happy week ahead :)

xx

photo credit: expimage

You Might Also Like

0 comments