Latest Posts

Happy International Women's Day!

By 21:18 , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Good evening lovelies, hope your weekend is going well. By now you must have all seen the Google doodle/animation that is dedicated to today being International Women's Day. If you haven't clicked on the play button I encourage you to do so, as it reveals a short video of women from all over wishing a "happy International Women's Day" in different languages.

International Women's Day is recognised every year on the 8th of March and in some countries it is a holiday that is as significant as Mothering Sunday. According to the official website, it dates back as far as the early 1900s, which was a time of rising 'radical ideologies', including debates and dissatisfaction over the stigma of being a woman. Some issues like voting rights and better working conditions have successfully been settled. Unfortunately there are still many things today that women all over the world are paying the price for, simply for being born XX.


Weighty issues like rape, domestic violence, teenage parenting, and lack of education are still more commonly associated with/found amongst women, in comparison to men. But even a running joke like women taking too long to get ready demonstrates a situation that you just can't win; if you take too long its "hurry up you like fine", if you don't take as long its "she used to look so nice, what happened?". Being a woman takes a lot of maintenance and multitasking, deal with it! LOL, we did not all  just "wake up like this". However for the sake of equality I know that there are also situations where men simply can't win when it comes to understanding a woman's way. C'est la vie!

what a great illustration from IWD 2012
Anyway I was trying to think of a woman that I could dedicate this post to, someone that has really impacted the world in the cause for women. But got slightly distracted by a day out with the family shopping (stereotypical woman I know...I actually didn't buy anything!) I eventually remembered someone that's not exactly famous but that did kind of change my life a little. My manager at work.

It's not very often that you get to have a heart-to-heart with managers whether female or male, but that's exactly what I did yesterday (in Costa of all places!) After encouraging me to open up about the way I was feeling about my job, she spoke to me on a personal level and gave me some life advice that restored my faith in both managers and the future ahead of me, and I will always be grateful for it. So if you ever read this, thank you so much Karen, and happy International Women's Day to you :)

So which woman in your life or otherwise can you appreciate today?
Thanks for reading
xx


You Might Also Like

0 comments