Latest Posts

Little Life Lessons II

By 00:14 , , , , , , , , , ,


Welcome back class! Today's lessons- 'Know When To Hold Em, Know When To Fold Em!' and 'Life Is Too Short'. Have a read and let me know your thoughts!


Know When To Hold 'Em...

Did you hear the one about the LA Clippers owner that said he doesn't want black people coming to any of his team's basketball games? This story about Donald Sterling has been getting so much press lately (read about it here) even President Obama heard about it. He gave the best response to it ever:

"When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, you don't really have to do anything, you just let them talk"

Just let them talk!! Knowing when to hold 'em is all about holding your tongue when appropriate. As someone who has worked in customer services, I am all too familiar with some of the nonsense that comes out of people's mouths, especially when they see that I am black.

 A recent example is a non-Nigerian man that told me that I am not a real Yoruba woman because 'my [English] accent is glass-cut" (aka perfect English accent)..........excuse me?? Now I could have really gone off on the man, I could have pointed him in the direction of several seats!! What is that, a compliment? No sir you don't know me like that, don't give me your opinion on how Nigerian I am -_- <---*pissed

Of course I didn't say any of this to his face, because I probably would have lost my job! Also because like Obama said, sometimes you just gotta let stupidness reveal itself- they may not any know better but you certainly do. In cases like this where someone says something that offends you, ask yourself if that person is worth cussing out  telling off. If not, then you gotta make like the Beyonce perfume and riiiiiise above it! Hold that tongue!

...Know When To Fold Em!

On the flip side, sometimes it is OK to just let that tongue loose! 

If someone is constantly calling you an idiot for instance, and you start feeling that yeah maybe you are an idiot, no honey! You're worth more than that, so don't let people talk down you; tell them who/what you really are and if you don't know, read my previous post

It is also a good thing to vent when you need to. If you're having a bad day or something is really bothering you, don't bottle it up all the time, just find a good listening ear and just spill, vent, moan, complain- get it all out of your system until it stops bothering you for the day (people do it on Facebook all the time :P) 



Life Is Too Short

Church today was a little emotional, as we received the unfortunate news that a member of our congregation had suddenly died. I won't go into it too much but we are reminded every day how short life is and important it is to put things in perspective. Everything in your past has already happened- appreciate it, learn from it, or move on. Each new day is a miracle- simply make the most of it. 


What do you want to be remembered for? Who do you want to remember you?


Has this given you food for thought? Leave your comments below.
Thanks for reading,
xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments