Latest Posts

2014 taught me...

By 20:20 , , , , , , , , , , ,



So the year is over and I think it has been quite an eventful one. These are 14 lessons that 2014 has taught me, and possibly you too (warning: there may be traces of shade in this post, IJS!).


OK well let me get all the silly ones out of the way first. 2014 has taught me that...


1)  Eyebrows are a big deal

A really big deal! How is your eyebrow game ladies? Strong? 2014 taught me that if your eyebrows aren't on fleek, then there's really no point in having them. Get those arches together!

Honestly though, a pair of well shaped eyebrows does do wonders for a face, and thanks to the millions of YouTube tutorials, we all know how to brush, fill, sculpt and blend those brows to perfection! But I draw the line at lacefront eyebrows...that is a step too far.



2) You people have no respect!

Yes you! You internet villagers that refuse to chill! LOL you're the ones responsible for all the memes we have had this year, for example:

  


The one below is one of the latest memes I've seen. I mean the amount of effort that went into recreating the original beautiful artwork by Peniel Enchill  just to make this meme is either flattering or unbelievable, I can't decide. (Read this girl's response to the all the reaction memes...she's got a point tbh)
Embedded image permalink

Take one final look- we are leaving all of them in 2014!


3)... "Main/sidechicks/men" 

According to 2014, it's completely normal for people to talk about having side chicks/men....??? I don't really understand how this one happened, but I guess some people out here just have exceptional pulling powers to be able to secure a main AND a side like it's Nandos. Well if you are in a love triangle then I simply wish you all the best in 2015 (i.e. let me stop right here)

4)... #TeamLightskin #TeamDarksin #TeamNatural #TeamAnything 

Teams were another big thing this year and I'm so glad that people want to come together and bond. But this stuff makes me cringe for real! Can we please leave '#Team' behind? Especially the whole light-skin/dark-skin thing, I think we fell waaay off this year with that one!

5) "trust no one" "cut people off" "small circle" "no new friends" 

How's that lonely life treating you? OK I do agree that not every friendship is going to/is meant to last forever, and if you can't squash whatever problems exist in that friendship then fine, keep it moving. But it's OK to have friends you know. I mean, you don't have to tell everyone your whole life story if you don't want, but at least have somebody. You can't group chat on Whatsapp by yourself!

6) DJ Mustard on EVERYTHING! 

I had to put in a music one, and 2014 was this guy's year! Even though he uses what sound like the same beat on every song, somehow he's just stringing off hits. "Muzzaonthebea" could have produced a song about shoelaces and some colour 1B hair, and people would still be in the clubs like "Oh that's that shoelaces song? AAAAAYY turn up! Snapchat!"

7) A six-second video can change your life


They still haven't found his hat SMH.


Now if it's OK, I want to get all deep and motivational for a second, (it is going to be a new year after all)
2014 also taught me that:


8) Confidence is key

Learning to be confident has by far been one of my biggest lessons this year. I know it has been said a million times before, but when it comes to self-esteem it really is all about having confidence. Walking confidently, speaking confidently, smiling confidently- when you learn to just be comfortable in your own skin and proud of the way God made you, it makes such a positive difference and helps you to enjoy every day that you're given so much more.

I'm still working on this one, but I am glad to say that I've at least come a long way since the start of the year (somebody clap for me!)


9) Some people will not like you. It's OK, carry on with your life.

Some people will just be on a mission to frustrate your life because they don't like you or maybe they're dealing with an inner problem by taking it out on you. It's OK, we're all human and we have all had somebody in our lives that we don't really like (be honest), whether we show it or not. But if you know somebody that just doesn't like you, please don't waste your days worrying about them. Don't worry about somebody that isn't worrying about you! You're thinking about them, how you can please them or avoid them, or what they might say about you or do to you, when there's a 99% chance that they aren't losing any sleep over you! So don't let other people live rent-free in your mind (stolen quote), what other people think of you is none of your business (another stolen quote). If somebody doesn't like you, allow them to take it up with God, and you just carry on with your day (all me).




10) We need to pray for our children

I don't even know where to start with this one. The school girls in Nigeria, the South Korean children lost at sea, the recent tragedy in a Pakistan school, Mike Brown & Tamir Rice in the US, to name a few...it has been a sad year for children. It is sad that we can't seem to create a better home for our next generation, the people that will look at us as elders and possibly copy our actions when they grow up. I hope 2015 can be a better year for children, honestly.

11) Life can sometimes be a bit SugarHoneyIceTea

Everybody has days like this where you're asking God "why me?"; I felt like this a lot this year. But you know what, why not you? Why shouldn't you have challenges that will test you and that you can learn from? Like I said you're not alone, everyone is going through something at some point (I mean, just think of all the people that get dumped on by a pigeon or a seagull every single day. LOL it's such a cruel world that we live in!). Pray, lean on a friend and endure that situation, whatever it is, because it won't last forever -there will be better days. Learn from the bad days and look forward to better ones.
12) Life can also be pretty decent 

I honestly would never have predicted half of the opportunities and random great moments that I have been blessed with this year, and I'm so grateful for them. If I had held onto the perspective of life written in the point above, I may have closed myself up to certain opportunities because I would have always been assuming the worst about everything. Like I said there will always be better days, have a little hope.

13)  Life is very short. Learn to see the bigger picture

One thing I have observed from all the people that have passed this year, especially those famous faces is the comments that people make about them, whether on social media or in person. Everybody leaves some kind of legacy behind- what do you want yours to be? What do you want to be remembered for? Work on it now and ask yourself if you're moving forward or just killing time?

 That's enough about life now (but I hope you get what I am saying :) ). To finish off the list- the last thing that 2014 taught me is...




14) That a lot can happen in a year! 

(I'm sorry I just didn't have a 14th point haha but it is true. A lot can happen in a year, and that year will go by fast! Enjoy it.)



Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for reading :)

xx

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Funny and really cool. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Happy 2015!

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Busola, no problem, I'm glad I could :) Happy 2015! xx

      Delete
  2. This was awesome the memes had me laughing and your point on 5 is so on point, why would someone need to announce to the world their friend status. Great post and I didn't take a lot from 2014 I was just blessed to be alive. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ola, you're so kind. There were sooo many memes last year it was crazy! Re: friendship status, I agree, I just think it's quite bizarre to be really proud of having no/less friends. Thanks for commenting, wishing you a great year! xx

      Delete